Thursday, April 1, 2010

starbucks & stars hollow

I would love to live in Stars Hollow. Yes, really. Yes, I know it's a fictional place, with fictional characters and buildings. And yet, I pine for it. As I sip my Tall Iced Caramel Macchiato (upside down)
, I wonder. What would it be like to live in a town where everyone knows everyone else's business? As it is, I do not know the names of our neighbors that live across the breezeway, let alone what they do or who they really are. I know that they seem to be on a frequent caller plan with our local police department, but that is about the extent of it. I can not even imagine going to a wake for an acquaintance's cat. Nor attending and participating in a 24 hour dance til you drop competition for charity, just to be involved in my community. Or dropping by a friend's for breakfast, unannounced, just because. So, why do I long for it? I've been contemplating our addiction to Gilmore Girls, and wondering why it is that we can not get enough of it. It's not the fantastic writing, or the real-life emotions. Honestly, I think it is the myriad of connections between the characters. The stamina of their friendships, and the depth of their interactions. Our world has become so busy that it often feels as though we have not really had a conversation in days. That doesn't mean we haven't spoken with anyone. We do. Dozens of people each day. "How's it going?" "Fine, you?" "Good!" does not constitute a real connection. A formality, yes. A courtesy, yes. Connection? I think not. J & I were talking about this not long ago, and the vast majority of people are not motivated by money, or status, or things. They are motivated by their connections and relationships with others. Status, money, things... These are all mere avenues to what we mistakenly believe will bring us more or better relationships. Throughout this blog, along with reviewing various items and experiences, we will also be examining ourselves and attempting to make a change in our lives. We want to really connect to those with whom we come into contact on a daily basis, however random some chance meetings may be. We hope ya'll enjoy the ride. :o) ♥m

1 comments:

m + j said...

Today we received a letter from Starbucks containing coupons for some free beverages! Thank you Starbucks! We *heart* you!

Post a Comment

 

avandia