Friday, May 7, 2010

trials & triumph

I had an interesting conversation with a friend today, and I'd like to share a few thoughts with you.  I find the way that people handle struggles and challenges confusing, at times.  I personally have had a very blessed life.  My parents love me and my siblings very much, and provided us with a loving, healthy home life.  This is not to say that we have not had our fair share of hardships, but faith and hope were ever-present.  Many people face difficult decisions, horrible tragedies, and overwhelming devastation daily.  What you do with those challenges is up to you.  I have a hard time understanding people that choose to stay entrenched in their situations.  Yes, choose.  I know that many things are beyond our control, but where you go from there is up to you.  You can choose to be sad and hopeless, or you can cling to the promise that we are not alone.  I could see how someone that does not have a personal relationship with the Creator could be filled with despair and loneliness.  But it doesn't have to be that way.  We were each created for a purpose.  Our existence is not meaningless.  There are days when I, too, am overwhelmed by the waves this world throws me, but I know that this is only temporary.  By grace, we are not defined by this world.  And thank God!  When it all ends, when this world is nothing but dust, would you really want to be defined by the shallow riches our world holds so dear?  Money, status, power, fame?  Not I.  In my darkest days, I draw strength from Psalms 143:8.  I don't know exactly why this verse speaks to me so much, but it has since I was an adolescent.  Now more than ever.  On those days, I remember this verse, and know that I have a constant Supporter, Redeemer, Confidante, Friend.  Nothing I could ever experience can separate me from that.  It can be the same for you.  Loneliness is a choice.  Despair is a choice.  As is Salvation.  Which do you choose?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

avandia